Thursday, March 3, 2011

Herbal Experiment

As some of you know I've been interested in herbal healing and health for a while. Right now it's more of a hobby than anything else, but I'm sure it will come in handy some day. :)

My most recent experiment was a Chamomile Glycerin Tincture.
Here is a short article defining Chamomile: http://www.bulkherbstore.com/articles/chamomile
And a short article about tincture making: http://www.bulkherbstore.com/articles/tincture-making-made-simple The article only tells about making an alcohol tincture, which I have never done. But no worries; I have the recipe for you as follows:

1. Fill a canning jar 1/2 - 1/3 full of Chamomile flowers.

2. Fill jar the rest of the way with glycerin. Make sure to leave head space.

3. Screw a lid loosely on the jar. (I would recommend a metal lid because you will be heating this).

4. Place a dish towel in the bottom of a Crock Pot. (To prevent the jar from breaking).


5. Put jar in the crock pot and fill pot with water. Make sure that the water doesn't touch the bottom of the lid.

6. Turn on your Crock Pot to "Low." If your "Low" is too high try the "Warm" setting. (That's what I did).

7. Allow your tincture to infuse for three days. (If your Crock Pot is too hot it will take less time). You may have to add more water once or twice.

8. After three days remove the jar and strain the glycerin into a dark colored jar. The darkness helps the herb to keep for longer. I tried to find out how long the tincture will keep, but there was no definite answer. Some said to store the tincture in the fridge.


Have a wonderful day!

Bible Verse: "'Everything is permissible'- but not everything is beneficial. 'Everything is permissible'- but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others." 
1 Corinthians 10:23-24

2 comments:

  1. Because I'm being lazy (and don't want to click on the links and read...lol) - can you tell me why you wanted to make this?

    Thanks!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, really I just wanted to make some sort of an experiment. I got the DVD "Making Herbs Simple," (I think it was for my birthday), and that was one of the demonstrations on it. It looked cool, and I knew that Chamomile wouldn't kill anyone if I messed the tincture up. :)

    So, In short I was curious.

    If you meant what will I use it for, I plan on using it as drops in tea to help with sleep. And maybe cramps too.

    ~Sarah~

    ReplyDelete